Because we all need tools in our toolbox. Here are some of the tools that I use on a regular basis – either with my own site or with clients.
Some of the links may be an affiliate link. This means that if you buy from one of the links, I may receive a commission from the sale. This doesn’t increase what you will pay should you purchase. Affiliate links is their way of advertising & marketing. While large corporations use other types of advertising. The difference, when you recommend their product, you get nothing for it. If you want to avoid providing me with a commission should you purchase, all you have to do is type the product name in your web browser and search.
I am providing the information to the companies that I use – but there are many other companies who also deliver the same service. Don’t feel like these are the only ones, these are just the ones that I use and like.
Everyone Needs These for their Website
- WordPress – This is the Content Management System (CMS) of my preferred choice. It’s free and open source.
- GoDaddy – I use GoDaddy to register my URLs of my websites.
- Hostgator – Once you have your URL registered, you will need a place to host all of your data. I prefer to host my data in a separate place from where I register my URL. There are pros/cons to both. If you want, you can also choose to purchase your URL via your hosting service.
- Thesis – I am a Web Developer, therefore I LOVE this theme because it’s not really a theme. It’s a framework that allows me to create custom sites to your liking. And Thesis allows us to do so much it’s crazy! It should be noted, that this might not be a perfect choice for you if you’re looking to do this on your own as your first site. If you are looking for something out-of-the-box-ready, I recommend browsing the WordPress directory for themes that may be suitable for you.
- BYOB Website – This is probably one of the most recommended resources on the web if you do decide to learn about Thesis and custom coding it yourself. This guy is awesome at providing in-depth tutorials. He offers free access to a tonne of video, as well as a paid membership area. You won’t go wrong here!
Payment Solutions – Because We All Must Have a Way to Get Paid!
Ecommerce – Shopping Cart Solutions
Membership Site Management